Top 10 applications to be install in my Ubuntu

I had been using Ubuntu for quite sometimes. I can't recall when but it was since 6.06LTS (Dapper Drake). It was introduce by my ex-colleague. Back then, Ubuntu was so limited features. I use to have dual boot, Windows XP and Ubuntu. After several release still dual boot. I can't let go Windows and most of the time I'm using Windows.

From time to time, my system always infected with virus. I purchase original Antivirus, yet still infected by virus. Time to time, Ubuntu getting mature and stable. More features arrive and getting user friendly. I decided to go for Ubuntu permanently. Being using it for a year plus and still happy using it. I'm currently using Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick Meerkat). Although Ubuntu comes with lots of built-in applications, still I feel there are some applications which I prefer using.

1. Ubuntu Restricted Extras

Some applications we may need it but not bundle along with Ubuntu due to legal issues. Example mp3, flash, java, some codecs and fonts. Well, just bring up the terminal and enter:

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

That will take care of it. Most of the audio and video format will be able to play using the built-in applications such as Rhythmbox, Totem Media Player and Firefox.

2. VLC


With ubuntu-restricted-extras installed, there won't be issue playing files from built-in Totem Media Player. If you have an Android device, VLC player will be a good application for you to remote control multimedia file. With Android and VLC player, you can just lay back and control your multimedia files remotely via wifi. You can get it from here, http://www.videolan.org/vlc/ or install from the Synaptic Package Manager.

3. Emesene

Although Ubuntu comes with Emphathy, but honestly I don't like it. I still prefer the old style MSN messenger. There are several application out there such as Pidgin and aMSN besides Emphathy but I still find Emesene suite me.

sudo apt-get install emesene

4. GIMP Image Editor

Another interesting application name GIMP. Almost similar to Adobe Photoshop. Of course can't beat Photoshop but something closer. I can edit my photo with levels, curve, shadow, smudge, blur and etc. An apps good enough to replace Photoshop for me.

Ubuntu Software Center (Applications > Ubuntu Software Center > search GIMP) or:

sudo apt-get install gimp

5. Dropbox


It is nice to go cloud. http://www.dropbox.com/. Since it's available in Linux, Windows, iPhone and Android. What else we need for cloud?

6. Teamviewer

Another cloud and cross platform application. Available in Linux, Windows, Android and iPhone. Sharing desktop and remote control over the WAN is not a problem anymore. http://www.teamviewer.com.

7. GNU Paint


Remember MSPaint? A simple paint application yet useful most of the time. Well, in Ubuntu you can get something similar name GNU Paint or Gpaint. Go to Ubuntu Software Center (Applications > Ubuntu Software Center > search GNU Paint).

8. VMware Player

Although VMware Player is free but it will require you to register an account in order to download. You can get it at http://www.vmware.com/products/player/.

Once the VMware Player is downloaded, just navigate to the folder from terminal. Run: sudo sh <filename>.bundle

sudo sh VMware-Player-3.1.3-324285.i386.bundle

After the installation completed, just execute it and create new virtual desktop. I installed Windows XP in the VMware Player.

I can execute or application that not able to run in linux environment. Although some people may suggest using Wine. However, there are still limitation. There are several features which is useful such as shared folder and Enter Unity.

9. Compiz Settings Manager


Fancy display and graphic effects will be one huge advantage compare to Windows. Showing off special effects from linux that Windows won't have. Go to Ubuntu Software Center and search for ccsm or run the following command from terminal:

sudo apt-get install ccsm

Yes you can tweak your own effects such as wobbly windows and rotate cube. I use to install and enable this effects but it just eat up my old laptop resources.

10. Dock

Desktop dock is one the most all time favorite. Most famous in Mac OSX. Windows and Linux start to copy. You can see it available in Alienware, Dell PC, and etc. Fancy enough and nice effects. I use to like it but system resources still a concern to me. There are plenty of tools out there but Avant Window Navigator is in my top list. https://launchpad.net/awn

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Namewee 黃明志 ft. Anthony Perry 黃秋生 - China Reggaeton Pinyin and translation Lyrics

Handmade Japanese Shoji lamp

Na Xie Nian - Hu Xia (那些年-胡夏) Pinyin Lyrics with translation