Fish and Chips with mushy peas
I was thinking of cooking something romantic for two. Western food will be most suitable. I went to hypermarket and shop for some ingredient which took me near an hour for that. Thinking of cooking some fish and start googling. I saw a video teaching how to cook fish and chips. Can find most ingredient here, so I modified my own. Also I don’t have a weighing machine. So I guess the amount by using anything I can find from the kitchen.
2 pieces fish fillet. (I use dory fish)
a plate of flour
French fries (estimate for 2 person)
Oil (vegetable oil or corn oil, don’t use olive oil as it will taste weird)
1 bowl of frozen peas (estimate for 2 person)
1 teaspoon of salt
butter/cold margarine (size of half ping pong ball)
1/2 cup of flour
half bottle of cold lager beer (I use Tiger beer as it is the cheapest I can find here)
1 teaspoon of salt
few sprinkle of white pepper
mayonnaise (5 tablespoon as for my case)
lemon juice (half a lemon)
1 piece of gherkins pickles (chopped)
1 onion (chopped)
or you can buy ready made
Always prepare the fish last so that it will stay crunchy when you eat. Get the mushy peas and tartar sauce done first.
Get the mayonnaise, lemon juice, chopped pickles and onion into a bowl. Just keep mixing it until it get well. You may add some water if you don’t like it thick.
1. Drop the peas into a pot or saucepan and boil it with water.
2. Drain the water and place the peas into the blender. Reserve 1/2 cup of the boiling water and pour into the blender.
3. Drop the butter and salt into the blender. Blend it with pulse to remain the texture. You may blend it for longer if you prefer mashie.
4. You may serve it chill or warm.
1. Get the flour, salt and some white pepper in a bowl.
2. Pour the lager beer and mix it well.
1. Get a plate and place some flour.
2. Dip both sides of the fish fillet on the flour and then in the batter. This to help making the batter stick to the fish when you have the flour 1st.
3. Heat the frying pans to high temperature. I use induction cooker, so I set it to 160C.
4. Fry the french fries. It is good if you could pour enough oil at least cover half of the fries.
5. Cook the fries until it turn golden brown around 4-5 minutes and drain it to kitchen paper.
6. Dip the fish fillet and fry it until it turn golden brown around fully cooked. Estimate 2 minutes and turn to the other side.
7. Serve it while it is still crunchy with fries, tartar sauce, mushy peas and some lemon for juice on the fish.
You can serve with some packet soup and red wine. If you have dry fryer, it will be easier. If you don’t, you need to cover the frying pan with glass lid to avoid the sparkling hot oil. You will have busy time cleaning up the kitchen if you don’t do so.
Preparing the ingredient, tartar sauce and mushy peas = 20 minutes.
Cooking the fish and fries = 10 minutes.
Food Health = 5/10 (deep fry food always too oily and heaty)
Difficulty = 7/10