Rich Mix Brown Rice Porridge
What to do with the steamboat ingredient after CNY? Easiest way to clear it is cooking porridge for two.
Ingredient:- 1 cup of brown rice (estimate for 2 person)
- Chicken slices/strips
- Any green vegetables
- Taiwan sausage
- Pork meatball
- Fried garlic oil (get some chopped garlic and fry in oil until golden brown)
- White pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Lea Perkins sauce
- 1 tablespoon of Chinese rice wine
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
Preparation:1. Rinse and soak the brown rice in water for 2-4 hours. The longer period will make the rice softer.
2. Boil the brown rice with 4 cups of water.
3. Drop the chicken slices, squid, cuttlefish, Taiwan sausage (with skin off), and pork meatball.
4. Boil for 15 minutes with high temperature.
5. Lower the heat to low, and cook for 30 minutes. During this period, it is better to observe the boiling. Stir when the bubbles appear. This to make the porridge equally cook and avoid sticking to the pot. It will also make the porridge thick and smooth.
6. Drop the vegetable. If you like the crunchy of the vegetables, you may drop it now. If you prefer soft vegetables, you may drop the vegetable together with the ingredient at step 3.
7. Drop the salt, Lea Perkins sauce, sesame oil. Stir it well at medium temperature.
8. Off the heat and pour the Chinese rice wine. Stir it for 1 minute.
9. Serve it with some white pepper and fried garlic oil. If you like it salty, add some soya sauce.
Basically you can drop any ingredient left from the steamboat. It will taste great when all cook together at low temperature for long period.
Serving size = 2 persons
Estimate time = 50 minutes (not include soaking the rice)
Food Health = 7/10
Difficulty = 3/10